The Sheetz Reception Center known as “The Wallick-O’Connor House” opened in 2016. Originally built in 1838, the Center has been renovated and is designed for events under 75 persons total. The center is available for use by churches, community groups, organizations, businesses and or families. It is a “cater in” facility, and use of local caterers is recommended. Our Reception Center manager is prepared to assist if requested. The Center features a food prep area, refrigeration, and a kitchen sink for clean-up. The Community Center has also been outfitted with ample electric outlets in the food serving area to accommodate crock pots, roasters, and heated appliances. Linens can be provided for the tables. Please call the funeral home at 717-653-5441 for scheduling and availability, or email us at [email protected]
Built in 1838 by the Wallick family, the house was constructed in the Greek revival design and featured three floors and 4 bedrooms. In 1976, the late Dr. Thomas and Mary Ellen O’Connor added the fireplace and sunroom, now used as the main entrance. The Reception Center has been a long anticipated business vision of the Sheetz Family. They are pleased to present this venue to our community in honor of their parents Mary H. Reich Sheetz and the late Gerald R. Sheetz, a proud WWII 1st Marine Division veteran, history enthusiast, and a student of Mount Joy history.
The center hosts an historical theme focusing on the birth of or our great nation. On display are replicas of the 1776 Declaration of Independence, the 1787 United States Constitution, and the 1791 Bill of Rights, as well as many other deeds and historical documents from Lancaster County. An area of the center has also been designated to display the works of local artists including those of Rebecca H. Sheetz, Pete Foley, and others. The center also features manufactured items from Mount Joy, Florin, Marietta, and Rheems. This collection includes rare axes and wood shavers made by the Brady Manufacturing Co, formerly located on the corner of Main and Manheim Street. Historical artifacts from other prominent foundries including The Grey Iron Manufacturing, Rollman Manufacturing, Wilton Foundry, and the Marietta Foundry. Early newspapers adorn the walls, and countless advertising novelties are displayed in the cabinet. Also displayed are the many books written by the late local historian, Vera Albert, without whose help and inspiration this project would have never been accomplished. A sincere thank you to Vera and her family.